McIlroy & Woods Still Bank Combined $4m Fees Despite HSBC Crash.

Golf’s top two ranked players, Rory McIlroy and Tiger Woods are understood to still bank a combined $4m appearance fee despite the shock of missing the cut in the Abu Dhabi HSBC Championship.

McIlroy left new sponsors Nike as crimson-faced as his new driver missing the cut by four shots in his first event of a new season with a pair of 75s.

Woods was left ruing a rules breach at the fifth hole when he incorrectly relied on the advice of three-time Abu Dhabi champion, Martin Kaymer in taking a drop from a plugged ball lying in sandy waste on the National course.

In contrast to TV anoraks, it was spectators following Woods’ group who brought the issue to the notice of referees.

Woods was made aware of a possible rules breach on the 11th tee by Chief Referee, Andy McFee and then had his fears confirmed with McFee waiting for him when he handed in his scorecard.

“My ball was embedded, so I called Martin over and he agreed,” said Woods. 

“But Andy (McFee) ruled that I had broken the rule and consequently got a two-shot penalty and I’ve missed the cut.” 

Woods was two over par for his round when approached by McFee at 11 and tried hard to put the incident aside in birding three holes in succession from the 14th

The 14-time Major winner walked off the last with a 73 that put him inside the cut off mark on one-over par but with the two-shot penalty he had to sign for a 75 for a now three over par tally and miss the cut by one.

Woods’ long-time manager, Mark Steinberg wasted little time speaking with organisers and arranging for Woods’ private jet to be on stand-by.

However believed to be written into Woods’reputed $3m contract with banking giant, HSBC is a no refund clause or any other corporate engagements should Woods miss the cut.

Woods’ penalty rekindled memories of Padraig Harrington’s disqualification from the event in 2011 for unknowingly moving his ball in removing his marker.

Woods will next compete in Thursday’s starting Famers Insurance Open at Torrey Pines in La Jolla, California.

The venue is among Woods’ favourites given he has won six of 12 times since 1993, and Torrey Pines is also the venue of Woods’ last Major success, the 2008 US Open.

McIlroy was believed to have been paid $US 1m to tee up in the UAE capital but the efforts of the double Major winner were an embarrassment to new clothing and equipment sponsor Nike.

Two months ago McIlroy was in nearby Dubai as both the PGA and European Tour No. 1 and ending his season on the enormous high in one-putting his final five holes for birdies to capture the DP World Tour Championship.

However the curly-haired McIlroy was hardly on the straight and narrow for two Abu Dhabi rounds managing to hit half the fairways in regulation and six fairways adrift of Borders ace, David Drysdale who missed just one fairway in his score of 71.

And McIlroy showed little faith in his Nike ‘Method’ putter ditching the club after just one round and returning to his trusted Titleist Scotty Cameron that won him two Majors.

“I had been using the new putter in practice on greens in Florida that are a lot faster than these,” he said.

“The Nike putter was great on them but then getting over here, the putter is just a lighter putter, so it’s a weight issue more than anything else.                                                                                                                                  

“I can feel the head of the head of the one (Titleist) I used today a little better.”

However SKY Sports touched a nerve when a disappointed McIlroy was quizzed if his reputed $200m contract allowed him to change putters.

“I’m not here to talk about my contract. I’m here to talk about golf, and today it just wasn’t good,” he said.

For four years now McIlroy has commenced a New Year in Abu Dhabi and with four top-fives – 5th (2009), 3rd (2010) and 2nd in both 2011 and last year.

McIlroy will not play again to the February 20th starting $US 8.75m WGC – Accenture Match-Play Championship in Arizona.

However in the meantime McIlroy will head back down Sheik Zahed Road to Dubai and get better acquainted with his new Nike clubs in further practice at the Els Club

“I don’t know what’s happening with my game as all aspects of my game were off,” he said.

“I didn’t drive the ball well. My iron play wasn’t anywhere near the standard that it usually is for me.

“I’m just struggling with my swing. I feel like I’m spinning the ball out of the clubface a lot and I do need to put in a bit of work on the range.

“But it’s the first week off. I wouldn’t look too much into that. If anything, it’s more the Indian than the arrow at this point.

“So a few hours on the range tomorrow and Sunday, and a bit of work with Michael (Bannon –coach) and try and clear up a few things.”

England’s Justin Rose added a 69 to remain at the top of the board on eight under par.

 



Comments are closed.