Woods Hopeful Of Future Major Appearances

Fifteen-time major championship winning Tiger Woods remains hopeful of not only contesting next month’s 152nd hosting of golf’s oldest major at Royal Troon but more majors going forward.

Woods spoke of this after missing the halfway cut by two shots Friday at Pinehurst No. 2 and this year’s US Open.

Woods, 48, signe for a second-round three-over-par 73 missing the halfway cut by two shots at seven-over and also now sitting out the weekend rounds in a second straight major after being cut from last month’s PGA Championship in St. Louis.

Ahead of the US Open, and an event he captured in 2000, 2002 and 2008, ‘TW’ spoke about playing one tournament a month for the remainder of the year but with his ageing body taking its toll on the golf legend but really did not fully rule out that next month’s Open Championship at Royal Troon could not be his last as many outlets are reporting.

“Even if I win the British Open, I don’t think I’ll be in the (FedEx Cup) playoffs,” Woods said. “Just one more event and then I’ll come back whenever I come back.”

When asked about missing the cut on Friday, Woods admitted that it may be the last time he plays in the prestigious tournament. “Well, it’s one of those things where in order to win a golf tournament, you have to make the cut,” Woods said. “I can’t win the tournament from where I’m at, so it certainly is frustrating. I thought I played well enough to be up there in contention. It just didn’t work out.”

“As far as my last Open Championship or US Open Championship, I don’t know what that is. It may or may not be.”

Woods appearance at Pinehurst No. 2 was his 23rd in a US Open and a 93rd major championship since his ‘majors’ debut at the 1995 Masters.



Comments are closed.